Jake..::.. Mr. Invicible
15.1 Hand Gelding
Paint / Quarter Horse? Your guess is as good as mine.
Roughly 24 Years Old
8 Years ago my father bought him for $25, with intentions for him to be a police horse
He failed, and became my Gymkhana/Barrel Horse
Now we are attempting to become Jumpers

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Anxiety

A reason I started writing this blog is partially because of fear. Little over a year ago Jake flipped over a jump and came out of it very lame. The long story of that will come later. He was on stall rest for over 3.5 months before I could start turning him out, then a month later I was able to do light riding. I got him back into shape and he seemed to be doing good, till he pulled up lame again...I gave him 5 weeks off before riding again. 4 weeks later he was slightly off. He still is iffy. Most people can't even see it, its just a muscle twitch and a lack of stretching out. He's tracking up great, isn't bobbing his head. He gives a sore step every now and then when he turns but otherwise I just don't know. I'm wondering if its arthritis? Or if his sidebone is acting up?

The vet is coming out on tuesday to look at him and get his teeth done. I'm hoping she can find some answers and at least pinpoint where his pain might be coming from. I want the vet to come out sooner...I hate this waiting.

I'm afraid of the news as well, as he is 20 years old and the lameness has been recurring I am worrying that this might be the end of his riding career. It might be a point that needs light riding, which is nearly impossible to do with this horse. He doesn't do light riding that is enjoyable....going in circles in an arena can only be fun for both of us for so long and he is a monster on trails. If that time has come he has a 2 acre pasture waiting for him to live the rest of his life....but I just don't want to let him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment